Affordable and Practical Microfilm Conversion Solution – Text Searchable Digital Records
Records on physical microfilm are at risk of being destroyed by use and film deterioration. Yet, the expense of digital conversion has been too high for many organizations. Digital ReeL is the ideal solution for the permanent preservation and web based viewing of microfilm archives. Digital ReeL is unlike any microfilm conversion solution available today due to its affordability, conversion accuracy, full-text searching capabilities and adjustable grayscale image enhancement feature.
We start by making replicas of your microfilm or microfiche, digitally preserving each roll or fiche exactly as it appeared in its physical state. Digital ReeL includes a web viewer so that users can retrieve digital microfilm rolls from a PC or smartphone, avoiding the hassles of physical film and reader printers.
Digital ReeL is available as an on premise solution and as a cloud-based offering. Customers nationwide such as federal government agencies, state and local government departments and private companies have come to trust their records to Digital ReeL.
Digital Reel Video Overview
Davidson County, Tennessee Customer Interview
- Priced per microfilm roll or microfiche (not per individual image)
- Ideal for infrequently accessed microfilm archives
Any Type of Microfilm Supported
- Roll Film (16mm and 35mm Microfilm)
- ANSI Cartridge
- Microfiche (Jacket and COM Fiche)
- Aperture Card
- Not sure what kind of microfilm you have? Learn more about the different types of microfilm here.
Flexible, Secure Microfilm Delivery Options
- We offer multiple delivery options depending upon your location and the sensitivity of your records
- BMI vehicle and driver will pick up your physical records and securely transfer them to our microfilm conversion facility
- Standard shipping services for many of our clients across the country are acceptable (e.g. UPS or FedEx)
- For highly sensitive information, we offer secure methods of media transportation.
- On-site conversion options available if your records are too sensitive to leave your facility
Secure Microfilm Conversion Facilities & Networks
- Two free-standing facilities that reduce your operational risk by allowing for business continuity and disaster recovery protection
- Facilities comply with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication (NIST SP) 800-53 guidelines
- Labs are securely blocked off from other parts of the building with FOB access for qualified lab technicians only
- All guests must sign in; securely escorted throughout facilities
- On-site media storage vault
- Noise and break-in alarms, coupled with perimeter and facility surveillance cameras
- Fire suppressant sprinkler systems
- No wireless services in the building permitted to protect security
Microfilm Conversion Accuracy
- Digital ReeL converts microfilm and microfiche with complete accuracy because the entire microfilm roll or microfiche is converted
- No images or details are lost, digitally preserving your microfilm and microfiche exactly as they appeared in their physical state
Easy, Text-Searchable Retrieval Option from Online Viewer
- Your PC, laptop or smartphone becomes a high performance microfilm reader printer
- Full-text searching to locate words, phrases and numbers across the entire archive
- Use your existing micrographic indexing methodology to find information (e.g. book/page, case number, roll/frame)
- Multiple indexing methods are supported
Adjustable Grayscale Image Quality
- Convert difficult-to-read images into grayscale to dramatically improve image quality
- Adjust the quality of the grayscale by altering the brightness and contrast of the image until it is optimized
PDF and TIFF Formats for Import into Document Management Systems
- Digital ReeL can be a stepping stone to a full scale conversion whereby records can be later output in a standard format like PDF or TIFF to any document management system
- Digital microfilm and microfiche replicas act as an insurance policy; permanent archive that preserves the context of your records as they existed on physical film
On Premise and Cloud Options
- On Premise: after BMI completes the microfilm conversion service, your IT department stores and manages the digitally converted microfilm records and the Digital ReeL application; users access records from the Digital ReeL web viewer
- Cloud Option: BMI not only performs the microfilm conversion service, but also hosts your digital records at our secure data center; researchers access records over the Internet from the Digital ReeL web viewer
We’ve assembled some great case studies that give examples of how organizations all over the Country are successfully using Digital ReeL.